Examples and Costs:
I'm always seeking new projects, so if you have one in mind, see my FAQ page here first, then email me with your proposal. (References below)
I'm a a lifelong aviation/aerospace fan, private pilot, and skydiver, and spent most of my working life as a musician. (Drummer/Arranger) In the late 1970s, while still on the road as a musician, I began studying computer programming. and ultimately wrote and sold a program called "Terrain 3D" to Digital Precision Ltd., England. In 1994, I quit programming and became strictly a software user. During the next 10 years, while studying 3D modeling and web site design, I created various RC aircraft and UAVs, designed in 3D, created the physical plugs and molds, and did the assembly and flight testing. I still maintain an archive site including those articles, at NextCraft.com. In 2005, I got out of fabrication entirely, and since then, have worked as a freelance 3D designer and modeler.
Today, I do a huge variety of 3D work, including images and animation related to both real-world and conceptual vehicles, organic visualization for artists and their installations, product design and rendering for advertising, prototype products for visualization, advertising and 3D printing, (rapid prototyping) and tutorials for 3D modelers, which you'll find on my Products page. Because I have no secrets about my methods, and enjoy sharing information with others, you'll note that this web site is laid out in an information-sharing format, with "follow-along" articles aimed at those interested in 3D modeling, rather than the usual sort of "portfolio" site.
Thank you for visiting!
- Mike James -
3D-related Customers and Projects not under NDA:
- I'm now able to produce machine-ready files of 3D models, in IGES, STEP, SAT, and 3DM formats, as well as STL, for stereolithography. The most recent of those projects is a model of the Aermacchi MB-326G, designed for a customer, as a large-scale, turbine-powered, precision scale, radio-controlled model, for competition in the 2014 Jet World Masters. See that article here.
- Illustration from my GEnx (turbofan engine) project is published in a new German book written by Andreas Fecker, called "Jet engines: Development - Application - Future", published by Motobuch Verlag in Stuttgart. (Amazon link)
- Aircraft-related CG work for "The Man In 18C" movie. ("D. B. Cooper" hijacking story)
- Cutaway views of my Cessna T-50 model will be featured in a new book called "Fundamentals of Aircraft and Airship Design: Volume II - Airship Design", published by the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics.
- Checkpoint Studios - Low-polygon aircraft models (about 35) for a new social gaming platform (2012)
- USAF - Provided a presentation in response to a project involving (flying) scale models of turbine and prop-powered aircraft in the current and past Air Force inventory, for training in both UAV fabrication and flight.
- Powerwave Technologies - Various modeling, illustration and animations for advertising a special antenna system for a mobile network-equipped vehicle
- British TV - ITN Productsions - Fictiional iPad images shown on "N2K", in February 2012
- British TV - Channel 5 - Cessna 310K images used in an episode of "World's Scariest Landings", January 12th, 2012
- Macina Digital Film Gmbh & CO KG: (Boeing 727-100 model for 1972 Munich hijacking reenactment) - Final production in 2012
- Volvo 7700 Hybrid Bus - 3D model and illustrations for a Volvo presentation (2012)
- Davis Aviation - (3) Magazine ads for "King Air Magazine" in 2011
- Flyright, Inc. - FAA-approved Flight Training Images and Animations for King Air Pilot Training (2010/2011)
- Cartier Gwin - Patent drawings for a new kind of hair clip (2011)
- Sheila Wyne - Various 3D Visualization for Art Installations (2007 thru 2011)
- Beyond Kiosks - Kiosk Renders for Presentation (2010)
- James Apostolou - Circuit Board Case for Rapid Prototyping (2010)
- MUG (MODO Users Group) - (2) Webinars in 2010/2011
- Scale Aviation Modeller Magazine - Renders of my Cessna T-50 model, November, 2009
- MacLife Magazine - Fictional "iPad" (before original release) was "Photo of the Month", October, 2009
- F-22 model for animations by Mike Burnett/Doghouse Animations (2009)
- 3D Training - "Modeling with MODO" DVD series (Four Volumes) (2008 thru present)
- Northrop-Grumman - Physical "Berkut" model for MTHEL Program (2003)
- King Air B200 model used for antenna simulation testing, by Sandia National Laboratories and Edocor (2003 and 2011)